Chocolate Mint Heaven!
Makes: About 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons/3/4 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup half-and-half or light cream
- few drops mint extract
- 1/2 cup miniture chocolate mint chips [I used Andes baking chips]
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Alternately beat in flour mixture and half and half or cream. Add a few drops of mint extract to the batter and mix well.
- Spoon better into 12 cupcakes papers [about 3/4 full] Sprinkle chocolate mint chips over cupcakes and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tester is inserted and it comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool.
- To make the frosting: cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk and mint extract and mix well. Add food colouring if you are using it. [a couple drops of green until you get the desired minty colour] Spread over cooled cupcakes and set in a cool place until frosting has hardened.
- To make the ganache: place chocolate and cream in a double boiler or a microwave and heat until cream is warm to the touch and the chocolate starts to melt. Remove from heat and stir until all of the chocolate has melted and the mixture is homogeneous. REMEMBER you don't want to cook the chocolate, you just want to melt it. You can always put it back over warm water or microwave it for a few seconds if you need to. Cool slightly and dip the top of cupcakes in chocolate ganache. Place a little chocolate-covered mint patty on top, if desired.
A match made in heaven?! :]